Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The thing about my grandma,

or one of the things, anyway, that I truly admire is that one is never in any doubt of what it is she really thinks about things. In my case, for example, I know that she thinks (a) I troddle (i.e. a combination of trotting and waddling, very difficult to achieve), (b) that I'd be surprised how many people got fat by eating too many grapes (this particular revelation happened to come while I was sitting at her kitchen table, eating grapes), and (c) my hair, if not ugly, is in sorry shape at best.

She broke this latest bit to me on Saturday. I was home for a visit and spent the morning over with her and grandpa. I gave her a hug as I was leaving, and she asked, earnest as ever, if I was going to go home to do my hair.

My hair, keep in mind, was washed and dried and even, I thought, looking pretty good. But grandma didn't and apparently she doesn't like poor Nancy Pelosi's hair either because she said mine looked like hers. That's my grandma -- just keeping it real.

Fortunately I have enough ego to handle it, and then there's this:

Not just anyone will hold child dripping wet from the pool, but my grandma is unafraid. That's another of my favorite things.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Did you cut your hair? I've never once thought you resemble Nancy Pelosi in any way. I agree about our bakery name. What is your grandma's name? I have a June and an Ardis. June had definitely influenced my baking more.

The cake is three 6X6X (almost) 6 squares. I used 6X6X2 inch pans and did three layers. covered in marshmallow fondant (it finally worked!) Letters are gumpaste as is the teacup and little bunnies. It was fun and I was pretty pleased with the result. Total time is in the neighborhood of 24 hours collectively.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

too funny
my mom is like your grandma
she's always telling me to fix my hair and i'm all like mom, this is it. it's my hair. done.